The Brkn Record The Architecture of Oppression Part 1 Mr BongoRegular price $50.50
The Brkn Record is a new project led and produced by Jake Ferguson, the co-founder and bass player for the UK’s foundational deep jazz outfit the Heliocentrics. With fellow Heliocentrics co-founder and legendary drummer Malcolm Catto, Ferguson has been a regular collaborator with globally recognised artists including Archie Shepp, Mulatu Astatke, Melvin Van Peebles, Orlando Julius, and many others.
The Architecture of Oppression Part 1 represents Ferguson’s debut as a bandleader and orchestrator, and manifests as a committed and soulful response to ongoing and systemic anti-black racism, social oppression, and state violence both at home in London and across the globe. Combining poetry, testimony and song with rich and cinematic backdrops, Ferguson has produced a sui generis sound that conjures flavours of Arthur Verocai, Ennio Morricone, classic library productions, Madlib-style deep-jazz beat science, and psychedelic soul. With bandmate Malcolm Catto on drums, Ferguson draws on their long years of collaborative experience in the Heliocentrics to build an album of striking texture and depth.
01. Assimilation (Ft. Dylema)
02. His Mother’s Eyes (Ft. Jermain Jackman)
03. Brother Andrew – The Investigator (Ft. Brother Andrew Muhammad)
04. Break The Chains
05. A Police Service, not a Police Force (Ft. Lee Jasper)
06. Hackney Ain’t Innocent (Ft. Yolanda Lear)
07. On the Daily (Ft Ugochi Nwaogwugwu)
08. Say Black (Ft. Dylema)
09. The Babylon Encounter (Ft. Janette Collins & Leroy Logan)
10. Witness The Whiteness (Ft. Adam Elliot Cooper)
11. Lifeline (Ft. Zara McFarlane)